Thursday, October 21, 2010

Anchorman: Why can't this movie get a sequel?

Anchorman may be the most quoted comedy that has come out in the last 20 years but for some reason Hollywood thinks that it doesn't warrant a sequel. The director was up for doing it and the stars including Will Ferrell and Steve Carrell had offered to do the movie for a discounted rate. Despite everyone being on board to do the sequel, the studio has decided to pass on the project. WTF? This is by far Will Ferrell's best movie and the other actors were brilliant in their roles. Paul Rudd was awesome as field reporter and ladies man Brian Fantanna. I still laugh at the scene where Fantanna goes in to his specialized cabinet of colognes and pulls out the lethal "Sex Panther" cologne that was made with "bits of real panther". I then loved the reaction of the coworkers as he strolled through the office "Whats that smell?"....."Smells like Bigfoot's Dick". Steve Carrell was also brilliant as the semi retarded weatherman Brick Tamblin. I just loved when Brick would out of the blue just say something ridiculous like the scene when they were discussing what love was and Brick just picked things out of the room to love.."I love lamp". I also liked the role of womanizing sportscaster Champ Kind played by the always funny David Koechner. Will Ferrell's iconic performance of Ron Burgandy was perhaps one of the funniest characters ever seen on screen. There is no funnier scene that watching Ron describe the history of San Diego to Christina Applegate.while on their first date.   I am actually not a big fan of Ferrell's movies because few have compared to Anchorman. There are so many scenes in Anchorman that are memorable. Perhaps the most memorable is the street brawl between the different news channels of the city. The cameos of Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins, Luke Wilson and the cameo machine Ben Stiller were priceless. I just loved watching Steve Carrell kill a guy by stabbing him in the heart with a trident. All of these great scenes but the studio would rather keep pumping out those terrible spoof movies like Vampires Suck. I just don't get it. That should show you that Hollywood has no clue what the people really want. I guess they think we want yet another terrible Katherine Hiegl romantic comedy. I really just want to punch the people who make these decisions. Anchorman is a movie that warrants a sequel....Step up and The Fast and the Furious do not. I blame annoying teenagers who continue to flock to those stupid piles of crap. How many times can Paul Walker and Vin Diesel team up and race cars to solve a crime? Romantic comedies are the worst though. Women will always tell a guy how stupid their action or sci fi movies are. Have you seen the crap that you women watch? My wife tells me all the time that her movies are about real life? Are you kidding me? Real life? Here let me see if I can sum up all romantic comedies.....prudish girl meets wild guy .she come from a family of money and he is from the wrong side of the tracks, they are complete opposites and they argue at first.....after speending time with each other in some wild scenario they find out that they truly love each other. The whole time they were perfect for one another......did I mention that they are both really hot and genetically perfect. Give me an F'n break! That's not realistic at all.  That stuff might happen in real life but not with good looking people.  You really think a fashion model will fall for a plumber or trashman in real life...nope!   The sad thing is that these movies make a ton of money. Romantic comedies have to be the easiest things to write, cheapest to make, and the women will flock to them no matter what the story is. Just plant Katherine Heigl, Reese Witherspoon, or Sandra Bulolock in them and women will go. I'm a little off topic but it irritates me to no end that a great comedy like Anchorman can't get a sequel but they hand movies out left and right to douche bags like Aston Kutcher and Hugh Grant. How much would a movie like Anchorman 2 cost to make? I wish that Will Ferrell and the gang would just produce the movie themselves. I guess in the meantime I can pass the time by watching Notting Hill 2 or More Fried Green Tomatoes. Stay Classy Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment