Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Why the Scream awards are better than the Oscars....

I am not a huge fan of awards show.  The main reason is that I think they usually take themselves a little too serious.  My friend hosts an Oscar party every year and it's fun to get together with friends and celebrate film. We even have an Oscar winning contest every year where we predict the winnersand someone wins a trophy.  The thing that I noticed though lately is how boring the Oscars are.  I truly believe if it weren't for the fact that we all get together for it then I would probably not watch it at all.  I still recognize the Oscar as the ultimate award for a film/actor/director but the ceremony itself is soooo boring.  I just got done watching the Scream awards on Spike TV for the first time.  The Scream awards are hands down the most entertaining awards show.  I'm sure that I feel this way for the most part because I am a geek and this awards show caters to the geek/nerd/dork crowd.  The opening award was for best comic book writer and it deservedly was given to Geoff Johns who is a basically a genius when it comes to comic writing.  It's nice to see some recognition for the comic book community.  The great thing about the Scream awards is that it is voted on by the fans.  The show does a great job being  entertaining to the people that are fans of the genres they cover.  They opened the show with a musical tribute to Inception with some cool visual effects that were projected on stage of the city folding in on itself.  The Scream awards also do a masterful job of promoting the very films that will probably be featured on next years awards.  Throughout the broadcast they gave the audience sneak peaks of upcoming films that will be coming out in the next year.  The thing that really brought me to watch the awards this year was the reuniting of Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the release of Back to the Future.  I just love that their is an awards show out there that celebrates everything geek.  This year they game away a lifetime achievement award to best heroine Sigourney Weaver for her roles in movies like Aliens, Ghostbusters, and Galaxy Quest.  They wheeled out a huge Alien Egg that she pops out of it and accepts the award.  I can't believe that Sigourney Weaver is 60 years old...she looks like she is 40.  Another thing that the Scream awards do that I think is great is that they have unique categories such as the "Holy Shit moment of the year" which was won this year by True Blood.  The funny thing is that was exactly the feeling I had when I saw that scene in True Blood where Bill Compton twists his female nemesis head completely around during a sex scene with her.  You won't see an award like that on the Oscars.  I know that the MTV movie awards are very similar but it does seem like the Scream awards are more geared toward the geek crowd and the MTV movie awards are geared toward screaming twilight fans.  Perhaps the highlight of the night was when Zombieland won an award and Bill Murray accepted the award in a full Peter Venkman Ghostbusters outfit.  I don't know if a third Ghostbusters movie will happen but it was cool to see Bill don the outfit one more time.  True Blood, Inception, and Twilight were the big winners of the night.  I'm not a huge Twilight fan but I do love True Blood and it was nice to see them win some awards.   The end of the show involved announcing the award for the most anticipated movie that will be coming out in the near future.  They went through the nominations of Harry Potter, Cowboys and Aliens, and then they announced the winner and a huge 20ft Green Lantern rolls on to the screen and as it turns around Ryan Reynolds appears on the back of it.  I thought to myself "why is this the first time I've seen this awards show?"  I got to see Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd next to a Delorian, my favorite female action star Sigourney Weaver get a lifetime achievement award, a tribute to the last season of Lost, Bill Murray in a Ghostbusters outfit, and I got to see a 20 ft Green Lantern....I was in Geek Heaven.  I understand that the Oscars will always be the most important awards show but it's nice to just have fun with an awards show.  I hope that maybe someday we will have a Scream Awards party because I had more fun watching that tonight then the last 3 or 4 Oscar ceremonies.  If you haven't seen the awards try to catch a replay of it on Spike this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment