Sunday, November 7, 2010

Get well soon Uncle Dean!

We have now lived in Ohio for about 30 years and being away from family sucks sometimes. My great Uncle Dean has been in the hospital now in North Carolina for over a week and being so far away is frustrating. Although I probably haven't seen my Uncle Dean in years, he made a great impression on me when I was a kid. Uncle dean co-owned a local store that has been around for many years and I remember going to the store when I was a child. He was such a kind man to me and my sister. I used to collect bottle caps off of glass bottles of soda....yes for you youngsters out there soda used to be in bottles....and I would go over to the store and he would give me all of the bottle caps that his store patrons would leave. Don't ask me why I collected bottle caps but that was a highlight for me when I was little. You can just tell sometimes by the demeanor of a person that they are a kind hearted man. That is how i felt about Uncle Dean. I used to visit NC when I was younger and I always looked forward to going in the store. There are no old country stores in Ohio and it's was cool buying atomic fire balls and little debbies when I used to visit. I have also heard stories of how he helped my grandma when she was raising my mom and my aunts and uncles. They didn't have much back then and that help really meant alot to all of them. Uncle Dean is just a good ol country boy and that is hard to find now a days. I just want my relatives to know that my wife and I are thinking of them and we hope he is able to make a full recovery. As I get
older I start to feel a little bit of guilt for not visiting my relatives but economically it
hasn't been in the cards. I am glad that all of my family down south is giving so many
facebook updates on his condition. It really is a testament on how strong the family is.
My mom is on her way down there and Robin, Jenny, My dad, Chase and I are all thinking about all of you and tell Uncle Dean that we love him and hope he gets better.

3 comments:

  1. great blog, Bill... As you know , I am not much into "blogging", but I did like this one.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you honey, you are such a kind hearted man. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete