Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bill's entertainment round-up. Episode 1.....Arnold is back....but does anyone care?

This is my inaugural episode of my weekly entertainment news blog. The majority of the topics that I will be discussing will involve recent developments in television, movies, video games, and pretty much anything that interests me on an entertainment level.

Donal Trump's accusations about Obama- The first thing I will say is that I'm not an Obama supporter. He has had a fairly unsuccessful presidency so far. I don't know that anyone could have had succeeded after the train wreck that was George Bush. Donald Trump has been rumored to be making a run at the presidency in 2012 and has made it his personal crusade to crucify the president for "not being a U.S. Citizen". The democrats have to be smiling right now. Trump is a joke. There is no other way to describe him. He has always participated in these petty back and forth attacks with people of the years and in my opinion just makes him look stupid. Jerry Seinfeld recently pulled out a benefit hosted by one of Trumps hideous sons because of of the comments by Trump. Trump, in true Trump style, immediately said that he was "never a fan of his work" and that Jerry was letting down the charity. These are the same tactics he used when fighting with Rosie O'donnell and frankly they just seem so childish. The Obama comments are just pathetic though. He even went as far as saying that Obama benefitted from affirmative action when getting into an Ivy league
school. Republicans are cringing right now because they already don't have a good front
runner for nomination and now Trump will more than likely divide the party somewhat and make
the whole party look like a joke. I believe that as it stands now I would be more than
willing to give Obama another term instead of taking a chance on the Republicans. Do we really want a President that has faced Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania......well I would vote for Stone Cold.



Arnold back as the Terminator- Arnold is finally finished playing Governor and has begun looking over scripts again. Unfortunately for Arnold his run as the top dog in California was fairly unsuccessful. The "Oak" found that charisma and good intentions does not have much weight when trying to fix one of the biggest economies in the world. This was probably a hard pill to swallow because of his tremendous success in both the bodybuilding world and in Hollywood. Anyway, he is back! I have cautious optimism about an Arnold comeback. The guy really hasn't made a quality motion picture since True Lies and the apparent signing to do another Terminator movie has me a bit skeptical. A 63 year old terminator just doesnt excite me. I will go see it, don't get me wrong, but this is definitely not what he should be doing. He needs to hook up with a good director that cast him in a supporting role that has a lot of meat to it. A role that makes him stand out. A grizzled bad ass old man that has to get back into action one last time. Ideally Quentin Tarantino would be his perfect director. Tarantino was able to revive Travolta's career and basically launch Sam Jackson's. Arnold probably can't front an action movie any more. He seems to be a little out of shape and I'm not sure he could even get close to his old form. I guess he could always go the HGH route like his friend Sly. I sadly think his time might have passed. It seems that directors like James Cameron aren't interested in collaborating with Arnold anymore. The new Terminator will be helmed by the director of the latest couple of Fast and Furious movies. They need to just leave those movies alone if Cameron is not involved. I really hope I'm wrong about Arnold but either way I will continue to watch his movies no matter what they are.

Steve Carrell leaving the Office-Arnold is coming back and one of the greatest TV bosses is riding off into the sunset. No matter who they replace him with the show will never be the same. The last few episodes leading up to the departure of Scott have showcased Deangelo Vickers played by Will Ferrell. I am not sure what they were trying to go with when bringing on Ferrell but it is not working at all. His character is frankly boring and unless he eventually turns out to be the Scranton Strangler it seems to be a waste of his talents. The writers couldn't come up with something better? The season finale will have multiple cameos that will be interviewing for the open position of office manager. The cameos include James Spader,Ricky Gervais,Ray Romano,Will Arnett, and Jim Carrey. I believe that none of these guys will actually replace him but if I had to choose one it would be Arnett. Arnett is one of those guys that is tremendously funny but hasn't found the right vehicle for his talents. He was hilarious on Arrested Development and with the mostly competent writers on the Office he should shine. I have some guys on my wish list...David Koechner who already plays Todd Packer on the show would be a perfect fit because he already has chemistry with the cast and is mostly hated. I think that Dwight would also be a good fit and I even think they have been hinting at it by going out of their way to show how Dwight has been slighted. I would really like to see them go with someone like Jonah Hill( wishful thinking). Jonah's excitability would be a great dynamic and a eventual rivalry with Ryan could be funny ( both of them being young successes at Dunder Mifflin). That's not going to happen but it would be something I would like to see. I hope that they can recapture the magic that Office once had but my heart says the show has "jumped the shark". Whatever they do it will not be the same. I can't believe I won't be hearing "that's what she said" anymore.

Lindsay Lohan getting sentenced to 120 days in Jail- Finally some accountability for being a pathetic, drug using, whining little skank. I hope she meets some real "mean girls"in the slammer.

The Royal Wedding I really could care less. I actually tuned in early in the morning because Jeffery got up at 4 and immediately turned the channel. I really don't understand the fascination....I guess every woman dreams of a wedding like that but you know most of those "fairy tale" weddings turn out to be shams. I would rather see paint dry than tune into the whole ceremony. Oh yeah...I'm not a big fan of British people either. James Bond, Benny Hill, Mr Bean...yep thats the only ones I like. Broadcast Mr. beans wedding and I will tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment