Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Week 1 of being a foster dad.

Robin and I welcomed a young little boy into our lives last week and it has been a whirlwind of crappy diapers and sleepless nights. The kid is a wonderful little boy who has obviously been dealt a rough hand in life. I am not allowed to talk details about the child but you can probably deduct that his parental situation was not ideal. Robin and I thought we were prepared emotionally but quickly found out that it's a lot harder once you make that connection with a child. Robin and I ideally want to adopt a child but the process may see us have to give a couple of children back to their parents and there lies the real challenge. You give your blood, sweat,and tears for a child that may end up back with the family who harmed him in the past. The thing you have to realize is that you are helping the child get through a rough patch in his/her life. This is without a doubt the hardest thing that I have ever had to do but looking into that kids eyes and realizing that we are helping him is well worth the work. I would have to say it has definitely been a eye opening experience. I changed my first diaper ever that first day and 30 diapers later I am a professional. I didn't realize babies crapped that much. I changed 3 poopy diapers in about 3 hrs. I have tried so many wonderful baby foods this week. I got to hold down the child while a doctor gave him 5 shots and drew blood from him. That was fun as the child screamed bloody murder directly in my ear. Poor guy, he wasn't up to date on any of his shots and had to have them all at once. The experience has had it's ups and downs but we are making it. We will be here for that little one no matter how long we have him. Someone needs to be an advocate for this child and the hundreds of kids just like him in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment