Thursday, July 21, 2011

What I would do with the Bengals if I was Mike Brown.

The NFL lockout is more than likely coming to an end this week and the Bengals will have to make some tough decisions regarding their roster. There will be a frenzy of free agent action following the lift of the lockout. The Bengals will more than likely not participate heavily in the free agent market as usual. Things have to change with the Bengals, they've had to change for 20 plus years now but at some point Mike Brown has to swallow his pride and make some wholesale changes. I thought to myself what changes would I make if I owned the team. These are some suggestions for good ol Mike.

Carson Palmer: I can't believe how fast my opinion can change on a guy. I respect what he did with the Bengals. He wasn't an elite QB but he was good enough to carry us through the playoffs. The thing that irritates the hell out of me about Palmer is this "trade me or I will retire" crap. I understand that playing in Cincinnati can be extremely frustrating but you signed a long term contract that has made you a wealthy man. He was so arrogant about it that he put his house up for sale as a sign of how serious he was. I really believe that Carson thinks he is an elite QB and deserves the right to just void his contract. Mike Brown has been the cause of a lot of crap here in Cincy but last year was the players fault. Carson didn't perform well last year and he needs to come to grips with that. I never thought I would say this but Big Ben has far surpassed Carson as a QB. Ben may be a rapist, a moron, and basically a big child but the guy can lead a team. The guy can make a play when his team needs it. Carson always talked a big game but never really delivered on the field. My heart says make Carson Palmer retire. He hasn't earned the right to hold a team hostage. Unfortunately making him retire doesn't really help the Bengals and I have to run this team soooo trade him for a second round pick or possibly for a veteran QB. Ideally I would trade him for Kevin Colb but it would have to be a three team trade. It does set a bad precedent but as you will see with most of my moves, I am a big fan of cleaning house.

What to do with Ocho Cinco? There are a lot of fans that have a big problem with Chad Johnson but i am not one of them. That being said I still would trade him for whatever pick I could get for him. He just doesn't fit here anymore and it's time to change the overall make up of this team. The guy led the AFC in receiving yardage for 5 straight seasons and there haven't been many receivers that have done that but that Chad Johnson is long gone and it's time to move on. His antics were acceptable to me when he was leading the league but now it just wears on me. His work ethic is unquestioned. The guy works when he on the field but distractions and age just get in the way now.

No tolerance policy: Frankly it is time to cut ties with the players who can't stay out of trouble with the law. I am not against giving guys second chances but not 3,4,5 chances. This team is embarrassing this city and making Mike Brown look like a fool. I know that it's not easy and financially feasible to release players because of their transgressions but you can start not bringing these guys in. Players like Adam Jones, Cedric Benson, and Tank Johnson need to shape up or ship out. Cincinnati is like a safe haven for players who want to remain being immature and irresponsible. I would implement a second offense suspension of 3 games and a third offense 8 game suspension. Obviously Im sure the players association will have a beef with that but you need to send a message.

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!! Mike Brown did not inherit Paul Browns football knowledge. He needs to realize this and understand that he will never be able to step out of that shadow. I think that silly pride and the desire to make a name for himself has clouded his judgement on what is best for this team. He is a business guy not a football guy. He needs to hire someone like a Bill Parcells to come in here and build a team. They need to hire more scouts and start over. I know that sounds horrible to start over YET again but the make up of this team needs to change. The Steelers reload every year and the Bengals REBUILD. The Steelers always have a good defense and a good running game.....is that a coincidence? They have had 3 coaches in like 35 years....that is something that the Bengals need to pay attention to. You need a football guy running the show.

Bengals hall of fame: the Cincinnati Bengals need to have a ring of honor. There have been enough players in this franchise to warrant recognition. Real NFL franchises spend the money and recognize their great players and the Bengals need to follow suit. I would recommend the names of Paul Brown, Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson, and perhaps Boomer Esiason later. These are Bengal icons that need to be recognized. Give this franchise a sense of pride instead of embarrassment. Mike you need to spend some money!


Well that's a small list of what I would do. The Bengals only have a couple years to keep my fandom. I have stuck with this team for almost 30 years of my life and I'm at a breaking point. I will choose a new team if things don't get better because football is too awesome of a sport to have to support such a shitty team. Maybe I will pull for the Steelers......NOPE it will never be that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment