Friday, November 9, 2012

Casting Star Wars today.

          The big news this past week was the acquisition of Lucasfilm by the Disney Corporation.  I have to admit that I was utterly shocked that Watto err George Lucas sold his baby to someone.  I have made it pretty clear over the years to my friends of my general distaste of the Disney corporation and some of their tactics over the years.  I will have to concede though that Disney has done a fairly good job with the Marvel properties and to be totally honest I would rather Disney be at the helm of a new Star Wars trilogy that Lucas himself.  I feel that Georgie Boy had just lost touch with audiences and became kinda lazy depending on entire CGI set pieces.  Lets not forget his ability to write dialogue either. 
          I got to thinking about a new trilogy and how they should approach it.  I can't make up my mind if I want to see recasting or really old versions of the characters from the original trilogy.  Of course noone even knows if it will follow them but I have a feeling there will be some mention.  I thought it would be fun to just pretend like they were casting the original trilogy all over again and who in hollywood today could fill those shoes.  This is complete list of characters from the original trilogy and who I think could pass for them now.   

Luke Skywalker - I would personally go with Aaron Johnson from Kick Ass fame and Savages.  I think he would be the perfect age and could definitely show the young nieve side and later the hardcore jedi side. 

Princess Leah-   I know she is the "predictable" choice here but I do like Emma Stone.  She a good actress and easy on the eyes. 

Han Solo-  This one is a hard one for me.  I would no doubt pick Nathan Fillion but would the chemistry between an aging Fillion and a young Stone work....whatever thats my pick.  All younger actors really get on my nerves these days and I think he embodies who Solo was. Plus Harrison was 14 years older than Fisher and Fillion is 16 years older than Stone....not a big difference

Obi Wan-  Another hard one.  I want someone old looking but with the sense that they could kick your ass if they had to.  My first thought is sort of an unconventional one.  I really like Gary Oldman.  I believe he would make a good one but you would defintely have to age him a little. 

Emperor Palpatine-The only actor(non voice) from all three trilogys that could play the role without anyone noticing aging.  Ian McDiarmid is still my choice for this role.

Lando Calrisean-  This was the hardest one for me.  Jamie Foxx, Terrence Howard, Don Cheadle....all could probably do it....I think I would go with Cheadle....but frankly wouldnt  Michael jai White be awesome at it....

So theres my big 6......the rest really can be done by anybody...would love to hear some other choices....I did this on the fly so Im sure I will miss some people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment