Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thank god thats over! My last political post until 2016

         The election is finally over!  Everyone can stop being nasty to each other, take a breath, and now we can get on with our lives.  I really can't remember an election that created such a split among my friends and family.  I have personally been soured by the whole electoral process and did not bother to vote.  I know, I know...horrible!....Well when there comes a time where I feel that voting for someone will result in actually getting something done then I will get out there and vote.  I blame BOTH Republicans and Democrats for the state of this country and until they can somehow work together and get something done I will continue to pass on voting. Unfortunately I do not see that happening anytime soon.  I think that people should vote and its a very American thing to do, especially if one candidate represents your best interests.  I just dont feel like anyone really is working for me and my family.   They are just concerned about getting their agendas over and burying the other party.  Perhaps I should vote for the lesser evil but I have a hard time justifying doing that.  I would probably lean more democrat but the lines seem to be blurring more and more these days.  I think elections now boil down to one thing..The widening gap between the Rich and the middle and poor classes is getting so large that when people vote they associate Republicans with the wealthy and Democrats with the middle and poor class.  Candidates like Linda Mcmahon spends upwards of 100 million dollars on their campaigns and that doesnt go unnoticed by the people.  The Republican party has lost touch with a portion of the country and really needs to reevaluate how they approach the next election.  I'm certainly not rooting for them but it's obvious that their line of thinking needs to be adjusted.  Democrats are certainly not innocent in all of this.  They spend tons of money on campaigns as well.  They, as well as Republicans, refuse to really work as a cohesive governement body that actually looks to improve the country.  They both are more concerned about getting credit and being the party that accomplishes the feat rather than just doing it together.  I personally hope that the House and the President can pull it together and get some things accomplished.  Phillibusting and stonewalling each other into oblivion really doesnt accomplish anything but losing the confidence of the American people.  I'm a huge advocate of a significant third party but realize that will probably never happen.  I think the Checks and balances system would be more effective if a third viable option for people was there. 
          I really hope that the President learns from his mistakes and can get some things accomplished.  He really tried to do too much too soon when he was first elected and perhaps underestimated the unwillingness of the Republicans to work together.  I felt like when I watched the debates this year that he was the more genuine of the candidates.  I still felt like I was watching two used car salesman though.  I get this overwelming feeling during election time that the candidates insult out intelligence with the things they say.  They always mention some recent factory worker they had met by name and talk about their struggles and how "their plan" will change that.  Unfortunately I think this Ra Ra campaigning works for alot of people.  I tend to look more at what they promise and what the end result is.  People get too hung up on promises and not results.  I can promise to dunk a basketball in the next 4 years but I guarantee that my fat ass wont accomplish that feat.  I fully believe that this country's people could fix alot of the problems themselves if the government could show that they could work together.  Its hard to get motivated when you hear about the unwillingness to help one another. 
       This country is changing and if the politicians dont figure this shit out soon there will eventually be an uprising.  This gap that keeps widening will eventaully cause the poor to rise.  It might not be in my lifetime but its coming.  There were some postive things that happened this election year.  Gays are now allowed to marry if a few more states.  Personally I have never understood the beef religious people have with this.  We are all "Gods" creatures so why deny a certain group happiness.  I've always said to nauseum that if you want to judge people then turn your judgement toward Heterosexuals since the divorce rate is now over 50 percent.  Its not Homosexuals who are ruining the institution of marriage, its heteros....The institution is already falling apart.  I don't believe in God but respect people who do.  I just feel that religion should be used to give you and your family peace and happiness and not used to judge others and the way they live.  The bible has tons of things in it that dont apply in todays society so why do .....ya know what...why bother?...noones changing their opinion on this.  I think it all boils down to the fact of how you were raised.  If you have had no real relationship with a gay, black, hispanic, etc then you probably rely on stereotypes and other things you have been taught throughout your life.  If you think that a homosexual is an "abomination"then thats your right to think that, but once you vocalize that and publicly denounce a person or group thats when I feel like you are overstepping.  I have relatives that do not believe in gay marriage but they are very respectful of the their beliefs and do not use derogatory terms to get their points across.  Thats the beauty of this country, unlike others, is that we can express ourselves freely.  Homosexuals deserve to be happy just like any other people in this country and to insult them with a civil union is discrimintory and quite frankly just unamerican....but thats just me. 
        Also marijauna is now legal in a couple more states.  I have never, nor will ever try Mary jane but I feel like its something that needs to be legalized because it is helpful in pain treatment and quite frankly is not much different than alcohol.  I think they should either legalize pot or go back to making alcohol illegal.  We know thats not happening.  People are going to smoke it so it might as well be regulated.  Tax it....I know I know ....where do we stop? Coke, heroin.....Pot is way different then those drugs.  You cant die from one use of Pot.  I dont advocate drugs....but really why does alcohol get a pass and pot doesnt.
      Anyway now that Ive pissed off half my facebook page...haha I guess I will end this rare political post.  I know it probably seems hypocritical to talk about politics even though i didnt vote but my reasoning for not voting to me is a valid one.  I can still care about my country and not vote.  If i did vote it probably would have been for an independent.  I was just soured on the whole process.  I have voted before and I will vote again.  Probably for specific issues that effect my family but if the politicians get their act together more and a candidate comes along then I will revisit voting for president.  I kinda compare it to my love for baseball.  I loved baseball growing up.  I knew all about eveyr player on every team.  I used to play it everyday as a child.  I collected baseball cards, played table top baseball, and watched all of the reds games.  The steroid scandal hit and immediately I lost interest.  I have unfortunately never gone back to something I loved so much because even now players are continuing to find a way to cheat.  Eventully my interst will come back, just like voting.  Unfortunately alot will have to happen to show me that its worth my vote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment