Friday, October 15, 2010

Back to the future 25 years later

I really can't believe it has been 25 years since Marty Mcfly first stepped into the Delorean and went back in time. I feel so damn old! There might not have a better movie trilogy other than the Star Wars trilogy during my youth. I really suggest to any parents out there that they introduce these movies to their kids. I couldn't think of a better movie than Back to the Future to represent the decade that I consider the best for movies..the 80's. This is a movie that didn't have to result to any low brow humor to get it's laughs. Don't get me wrong, i like low brow humor (going to see jackass in 3d) but when a movie comes along that can make you laugh with interesting characters and wonderful storytelling then I prefer that. The whole cast of BTTF is just amazing starting with Michael J. Fox. That guy was amazing in the 80's. He was the star of a hugely successful TV show in Family Ties and was on the cover on every teen magazine in the country. His portrayal of Marty Mcfly was just plain out fun. I guess I would characterize the whole Back to the Future franchise as fun. Who could forget Biff Tannen chasing Marty around Hill Valley always ending up ceremoniously in a pile of manure. Tom Wilson, the guy who played Biff, was so convincing as the big bully who tormented George Mcfly. He reminded me so much of the moronic bullies that used to patrol the hallways of my high school. "why don't you make like a tree and get out of here."...classic stuff. Some friends and I recently saw Tom Wilson at a local comedy club and the guy is actually pretty funny...the odd thing is that he is a musical comic and sits on stage with a guitar. I think if I had to pick my favorite character of the BTTF movies it would have to be Doc Brown played masterfully by Christopher Lloyd. He is one of those characters that you will never forget. I just will always remember that hair. I recently saw Christopher Lloyd in an interview and I'm pretty sure he could still play Doc Brown. I loved when Doc comes screeching into the driveway at the end of the first movie warning Marty that they need to go back to the future. .."where we are going...we don't need roads"...that was some cool shit when I was 13 years
old. I also remember Crispen Glover's performance as Marty's nerdy father George Mcfly. Glover has revealed himself as being one of the weirdest actors in Hollywood over the years but he nailed the George Mcfly role....perhaps because he is very much like the character in real life. I remember when I was younger and how pumped I was at the end of the second back to the future movie when they left it open as a cliffhanger and Marty was going to have to journey back to the old west. That's how all trilogies should be, having a cliffhanger between that 2nd and 3rd movie. There was nothing cooler than that scene when he thinks Doc Brown has been killed by that lightning strike and the Western Union guy shows up and gives him a telegram from Doc Brown in 1885. As I am writing this I keep thinking of the cool things that were in the trilogy like the Hover Board, or the Enchantment under the sea dance, the Alternate universe with Biff basically owning Hill Valley, and lets not forget Leah Thompson who I had a major crush on back then.  The 25th anniversary of the movies will be highlighted by the release of the trilogy in blue Ray format. I am looking forward to watching them on blue Ray but perhaps the most exciting thing is that AMC is re releasing the original movie at it's theaters for only two shows....Sat the 25th at 1230 and Monday the 27th at 7 pm. I can't pass up the opportunity to see this movie on the big screen again. I will probably assemble my geek friends and take in a showing of it next weekend and I hope some of you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment